Yet another SD discussion

Replays, screenshots and anything that can help players getting better
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

I didn't make up that theory, I asked Deadcode what determined in which turn SD would come (after the time runs out) and he said it was just random.
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

I don't know why so many people complain about SD. It is random, but so what? If you prepare for it, then there is no problem in most cases.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

Kayz wrote:I don't know why so many people complain about SD. It is random, but so what? If you prepare for it, then there is no problem in most cases.
ye but sometimes its good too take a risk :)
a won many rounds by 'lucky SD
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

I'm back! :D

On: I remember playing a FTM game with tade and we both skipped turns instanly... we reached min 30 and no SD...so we could have done this for days... but we agreed on draw. I hope i can find the replay, it's very old.
Even my clock at morning sounds ''tac-tic'' instead of ''tic-tac''.
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

Then maybe the clock wasn't on 00:00 ;). Sometimes you can waste many time without bringing the sd clock down, like shooting rope in the air forever and stuff.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
GopnicK
NNN member

Post by GopnicK »

Play faster :)
Hokku:
Cheat
Hax
WTF
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

GopnicK wrote:Play faster :)
brilliant idea :!: somehow I never saw Gopnick complaining about SD 'luck'
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

I didn't see him complaining about anything :P
That's why i like him so much :P
Even my clock at morning sounds ''tac-tic'' instead of ''tic-tac''.
Wriggler
NNN member

Post by Wriggler »

I don't mind SD...it is something you have to plan and prepare for, but can't completely control.

It does suck when you have an advantage and can do nothing to prevent losing the next turn if SD comes, and SD comes and you lose. This happens very rarely (usually you can do something to prevent it), but it does happen. You essentially lose due to bad luck.

For the record, what I do think really sucks about SD is that all worms go to 1hp. Intermediate was simply not designed to be played at the level we play it at. Leaving health the same like in elite would suck, but the "Scales of Justice" SD is just lame for serious games.

Switching SD to sickness (-5 per turn) would be a great improvement to the scheme in my opinion. It would prevent, or at least greatly reduce the effects of the randomness associated with when SD comes, but still give an advantage to the player who has better prepared for SD conditions. I think it makes the scheme fairer and is as friendly to strategic play. i know we've talked about this before...and I still think the same way. :P
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Antares wrote: On: I remember playing a FTM game with tade and we both skipped turns instanly... we reached min 30 and no SD...so we could have done this for days... but we agreed on draw. I hope i can find the replay, it's very old.
So, did you watch the replay and saw the SD timer going down to -15 minutes? ;). If you make 0 second turns before the timer reaches 0 then it will obviously last forever.
Wriggler wrote:Switching SD to sickness (-5 per turn) would prevent, or at least greatly reduce the effects of the randomness associated with when SD comes, but still give an advantage to the player who has better prepared for SD conditions.
I agree, although it would also render the predicting SD skill almost completely useless except for the situations in which those -5 hp really make the difference (like a worm with 55 hp going down to 50, or two worms with 30 going down to 25); skill that makes the difference between winning or losing many rounds (Rafka vs Antares round being the most recent published example where one of the players got caught out of guard).

I see it in the same way I see random placement:
They add randomness in certain degree, sometimes meaning that one player will win even if the other one played a bit better, but they also give players the chance to develop skills specific to this scheme.
GopnicK
NNN member

Post by GopnicK »

SAY NO TO 1 HIT POINT AT SD!!
SAY NO TO 1 HIT POINT AT SD!!
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Is there a way to know when is exactly 00:00 in game? ..cause I see u are talking about +/- one turn after 00:00... (I know u could "track" it, but how much precisely?)
Imho - I still think that adding a SD timer (or SD clock) would solve this issue most smoothly... with SD timer u got it quite precise ("on a plate") so there's not much left to blame.. "go prepare yourself!!!" :P
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Yes: count all the seconds used in each turn, knowing that hot-seat and retreat time do not count for the SD timer, only the turn-time.
With other methods (knowing that the SD announcements are shown at the beginning of a turn if there are 3:00 minutes or less time left in the SD clock) the worst prediction can't be mistaken by more than 22 seconds.
SD clock is just like gradual SD in one way:
It removes the "predicting SD with as much accuracy as you can" skill.

So far nobody that I am aware of has managed to master this skill, more over almost nobody even knows that this skill is useful and completely underrates it's importance in rounds between two players with similar levels.
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

hehe check this round guys: Mablak vs KinslayeR 2009-04-21 22:34:20 (uploaded at site). Its my definition of SD :)
Tade
NNN member

Post by Tade »

Antares wrote:

On: I remember playing a FTM game with tade and we both skipped turns instanly... we reached min 30 and no SD...so we could have done this for days... but we agreed on draw. I hope i can find the replay, it's very old.

Yes man i remember that one. i will try to find that replay. 0 second every attack, 31 minute on the clock when we give up and decide to draw that game... And you passed :!: