Koras
NNN member

Re: Yet another SD discussion

Post by Koras »

same old story :)
Siwy

Post by Siwy »

I support, why the fuck this scheme has such a name? shit has to do with calling him 'luckless' long ago it should have been changed, either the name or how sudden death happens
Rafka
NNN member

Post by Rafka »

Siwy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:23 pm I support, why the fuck this scheme has such a name? shit has to do with calling him 'luckless' long ago it should have been changed, either the name or how sudden death happens
Wrong. The name is totally adequate.
Siwy

Post by Siwy »

let's assume, that someone wins the whole round, has a big advantage, suddenly there is a sudden death, and the situation can turn around, and this can call it luck for this weaker player
Rafka
NNN member

Post by Rafka »

If U're taking SD for account in the middle game, U wouldn't let that happen, unless advantage isn't so big. Pro player should always take for account SD much earlier before is comes. Anticipation is very important here.

Besides that - SD gives some chances to player, who has such a shitty start posision, that practicly without playing for SD, has no chance for victory.
Albus

Post by Albus »

Well... a subtle (not drastic) change, which could lessen the criticism of those who are against the current scheme, is show the round-time remaining display, so at least it would be possible to we know how many seconds remain until SD, since it is impossible to calculate the exact time, leaving an even greater margin of "luck", added to the fact that the SD comes in a random turn.
Albus

Post by Albus »

Albus wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:43 pm Well... a subtle (not drastic) change, which could lessen the criticism of those who are against the current scheme, is show the round-time remaining display, so at least it would be possible to we know how many seconds remain until SD, since it is impossible to calculate the exact time, leaving an even greater margin of "luck", added to the fact that the SD comes in a random turn.
I was informed that this possibility would generate absurd short turns when SD is close. So I think I'm wrong. Do not consider this post.
PS: a poll on this subject would be nice. It would be interesting to see what the majority thinks, since I see good arguments for and against.
Perdunok

Post by Perdunok »

Do i understand correctly that when the music stops, the SD comes on the next turn?
Silaneo

Post by Silaneo »

Not music.When sd notifications on the top of the screen dissapear then sd is on next turn
Rafka
NNN member

Post by Rafka »

Silaneo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:20 am Not music.When sd notifications on the top of the screen dissapear then sd is on next turn
I dont remember I ever had anything like that :/ Only in original game is those notifications?
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

It's easy to miss, but the white messages at the beginning of the turn with sudden death warnings will stop coming when the timer is 00:00. If a turn starts and the timer is 00:00 you will see no SD warning, and that means SD will happen in the next turn. But SD turn is still random, and sometimes instead of a "no-warning" you just get SD happening.
So the options are:
-Turn starts with time left (more than 0s but less than 180s) so you see a SD warning, SD timer reaches 00:00 in this turn, SD happens in the next
-Turn starts with time left (more than 0s but less than 180s) so you see a SD warning, SD timer reaches 00:00 in this turn, SD does not happen in the next turn (even though there is no time left), a new turn starts but no SD warning message is shown (because the turn started with 0s in the SD timer), turn ends, SD happens in the following turn.
Both options have the same chances of happening, but when the second one happens you can know.

This is different in schemes with crates every turn like T17, where SD will always happen in the first turn that starts with 00:00 on the SD clock. But SD will not happen if there are 5 or more crates present.
Perdunok

Post by Perdunok »

Thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately it can be difficult to notice fleeting warnings about SD.