warm up before league, how?

Replays, screenshots and anything that can help players getting better
Zemke
NNN member

warm up before league, how?

Post by Zemke »

i'm a bit angry of myself because i have lost many league games in the past just because i wasn't prepared for important league games. this is quite sadly because i'm better than i have showed in some games. instead of playing four funners in front of leagues i would rather do someting more flexible and faster. this is also bad for my activity in the league :?

some people are able to play immediately the best they can, some have to prepare theirselves before.

now i'm asking you for opinions, ideas, tips and helps. maybe anyone has already collected some experience about that or has the same problems. how do you prepare yourself before you start to play serious league/tourney games?

a) playing me vs myself with a more difficult scheme
b) try to prepare yourself before an important game, imagine you have a hard opponent but you can beat him
c) alwas be relaxed to give a nice fight
d) watch the own replays and think about your and the opponent's turns, things you could have done better etc
Last edited by Zemke on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

i find it usefull to play me vs myself with a slightly modified intermediate scheme, just changing the round time to 30 seconds to force myself thinking a bit faster helps me a lot. Playing one or half a round to find out your "today's shape" is something very usefull, you will be able to choose something between "innecesary and stremely hard things" or "shotgun for all" acording to how you feel.

I try to be positive and knowing that playing on 'those days' where everything goes wrong is baaaaaaad, i know that shit happens to everyone and the one who learns how to deal with those days better will have some advantage in the overall.
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

I never trained before a league, and i actually never train in general. Best training is playing this league and i hope soon players will realize this.
Skill isn't all, you have to train your brain... how can you do it?
The only way of doing it is playing with smart, tactical players...
You can train and reach Dario/Crysis etc. skill at moves, it will not be enough to win a certain player.
Even my clock at morning sounds ''tac-tic'' instead of ''tic-tac''.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

Antares wrote:I never trained before a league, and i actually never train in general. Best training is playing this league and i hope soon players will realize this.
Skill isn't all, you have to train your brain... how can you do it?
The only way of doing it is playing with smart, tactical players...
You can train and reach Dario/Crysis etc. skill at moves, it will not be enough to win a certain player.
hmm but he did ask about warm up :roll:
Zemke
NNN member

Re: warm up before league, how?

Post by Zemke »

PiNK wrote:some people are able to play immediately the best they can, some have to prepare theirselves before.
plz remember this one. ty achilles.

Antares, i have realized that playing league is a good train but playing at all is always a good train. back to topic.
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

some people are able to play immediately the best they can, some have to prepare theirselves before.
That is not true imho, I'd say that some people care about warming up and others simply don't.

Also just don't get too obsessed with "good" and "bad" days or you will end up being like those players who refuse to play a tournament/playoff game until they feel they are at their best level. That kind of player ruined CWT.

Regards how to get prepared for an important game, Achilles' advice is good and you could also read an article written by Johnmir that I added to the "worms normal school project".
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

Dario wrote:Regards how to get prepared for an important game, Achilles' advice is good and you could also read an article written by Johnmir that I added to the "worms normal school project".
done many times :P

Johnmirs article about: before an important game
Always start with a winning mentality. If you haven't got a winning mentality, every time you have a real chance to beat your opponent, you will make a mistake and lose concentration, becoming nervous. Here is some advice for getting less nervous and more stable:
a) Never sit in front of the computer to wait for a serious game. Do something before the game starts, drink a cup of tea, watch TV, etc. Have a 5 min break and don
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

I would add:
d) Don't forget it's just a game :P ...and maybe:
e) IQ doesen't change no matter how hard you train :P
khamski

Post by khamski »

nah...
it depends what do you train
If you train rope, accuracy or tricks you won't develop strategy skills.
But if you are trying to start seeing moves that you didn't see before it WILL most probably change your IQ.

I mean smart worms is an exercise for a brain just like a math lesson or chess game.

Achilles gave a n advice about warmup. I will use it :))
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

IQ doesen't change... trust my word for i know what i am saying due to my profession. IQ is given only by birth... now to don't understand me wrong:

Since the moment of birth you have an interval given, let's say from 0 to 9. This is given by birth, the environment + family + education can take you up to 9. And in other case only till 2. But you can't surpass that 9.

Others have from 0-15 but only reaches 4-5 due to lack of enviromental stimulation, poor family condition, poor education.

Bottom line, although i know it's won't sound as in a holywood happy end movie: :P
1. IQ doesen't change after reaching maturity and limit.
2. People don't change. (after reaching emotinally maturity)
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

f) dont play on high! (especially day after drinking when U feel like shit).
I lost half of my league games because of alcohol :cry:
yeye I know how it sounds but thats true :oops:
if U want give a nice fight U have to be relaxed :!:
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Although you can't be smarter than you already are, there are tools that let you do things that look smart.
Those tools are what I call mechanical tactics and you learn them even if you don't know you are learning them.

For example a very smart player without a lot of experience could think like this:
"Hmm, I can kill that 50hp worm using my 100hp worm, but then he will kill my 100hp worm and hide in a safe place; so it's not worthy, I better just shotgun another worm"

In contrast, a not so smart player will not see that during the beginning of his worming career, but with the time he will learn and start doing it. That is the tool he us using: a tactic he isn't really thinking about and he learned from someone else or after doing the same mistake many times.

With the time, the experience and a bit of training the number of these tools you have will grow, and you will even have mechanical tactics that are built with several other "smaller" mechanical tactics.
If a player learns enough, the complexity of tactics in his inventory will be so big that it will be almost impossible to notice the difference between his "smart" game based on tactics and the smart game of another player who is really thinking about what he is doing and why.

Of course that due to the complexity of this scheme a player will never learn all the possible tactics usable in the game and remember when they should be used, so a smarter player will always have a small advantage because he will be able to make up a new tactic whenever it is required, he will be able to see the exceptions to the tactics he already knows and connect them in a more efficient way.

If you want to learn more tactics faster, what you can do (if you are patient enough) is watch your games and start thinking what you could have done in each turn and also what your opponent could have done in his turns. Little by little and without even noticing it your style will become smarter because you will start to "automatically" use the tactics you developed while doing that training, and you won't be even thinking about them.
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

Corect! Good point! But ... i think that your sentence: ''a smarter player will always have a small advantage'' is a bit too underated. Imho he has a big advantage, because between two players (one with real tactic and one with mechanical, learned tactic) there will always be battle till the end (SD) and in these circumstances the one who can adapt his tactic will win. Because he can reacte creatively and smart to fast changing/tense changes during game.

Another aspect of ''cleverness'' , i don't know the exact term in english, translated by me it's Emotional Inteligence. From my point of view (psychological) this is the biggest of them all in the end. Especially for those who take it very serious... But here we can talk allot, maybe some other time and in some other thread. Will be funn to get more feedback from our clan and get many players in NNNL involved in a debate like this. I think NNNL has some of the smartest wormers....
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

great help Dario! thanks :)
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

you can't be smarter than you already are
Its true..... but there is many young or very young players. In my opinion 12 or 13 years kid cant thinking in same way as mature guy (expect PiNK and HaXen :lol: ).