1st (not) BnG tournament: 2009/02/15 15:00 GMT. #PT

2vs2 mini leagues & other unfrequent hosted tourneys.
Dario
NNN member

1st (not) BnG tournament: 2009/02/15 15:00 GMT. #PT

Post by Dario »

Well, let's make a syllogism:

BnG is a normal scheme.

NNN clan started as a normals clan (founded when CWT -a normal tournament- accepted Intermediate, Elite, Pro and Blast Zone as valid schemes for the group stage, all normal schemes).

Therefore the league hosted by NNN clan should include BnG. Right, true, this is NOT, BnG, just a scheme where you need basic bazooka and grenade skills and some tactics to win.

Not necessarily as a scheme for league games, but why not for tournaments? :).

--------------------------------------
1st (insert the name you like the most) tournament: 2009/02/15 15:00 GMT at #Party Time

This won't be "BnG" in the way most old-school players would define it, but a "normal" scheme where all what matters is to kill your opponent, not winning with style.

Scheme
- 1 worm for each player.
- Worms are not anchored.
- Infinite Low Gravity utilities.
- Infinite bazooka and grenade ammo, 2 petrol bombs, one girder and one teleport.
- Water starts rising after 10 minutes.
- Games are best of 3.
Download the scheme attached in this post

terrain
-To make a "random" terrain for this scheme, enter the in-game map editor and search for a double cave (the ones used commonly for T17 games).
-After that select the filling tool and fill with land the lower cavity of the terrain.
-Using the same tool erase what would be the ceiling of the cave, turning the terrain into an island.
-Now select the brush size 8 and make a vertical hole in the centre of the terrain.
-Try to keep the layout (theme - beach, medieval, cheese, etc. -)random.
-Try to make both sides of the terrain more or less equal.

You can look at the attachment for an example of how a finished terrain would look like.

Rules
-Teleport your worm on a free island. If your opponent already teleported on one island then you can only teleport your worm to the other island.
-You can never go beyond the limits of your island (like the "no invading" rule of forts scheme).
-You will use the same terrain for all the rounds of the same game, so that both players get the chance to choose what they think is the best island at least once.

Yep, only that, so you can use the bazooka and the grenade in any way you want to because this is a "normal scheme where bazooka and grenade shooting skills are very useful", not a show-off tournament :).
Attachments
[Free&G].wsc
(297 Bytes) Downloaded 227 times
BnG map small.jpg
BnG map small.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 8621 times
Last edited by Dario on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

how about you just prepare several maps for each round, would be faster and more fair that way

are we accepting straight shots and sitters? if no you should specify that to avoid "surprises" ;)

scheme is nice though, I don't like the idea of having petrols in "Bazooka and Grenades" but all other stuff is as I like it, might even give it a shot :o
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

This being a scheme test for what could in a future evolve into a league scheme, random maps are needed.
And, anyway, making a map like that takes less than 30 seconds.
Wriggler
NNN member

Post by Wriggler »

Ewwww. Daz, you're right that it is not "BnG in the way most normal players would define it" because, well, it is not BnG. It is "Restricted Weapons Forts."
Non-artillery mode? The whole point of BnG is having to take weird angle shots. If you can move, you don
Last edited by Wriggler on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoky

Post by zoky »

kk..I will play that
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

I agree with you in everything you said about "real" BnG, maybe you didn't know it but I do play that scheme often in funners.
But "nrBnG" schemes have been on paper for a long time and someone has to start testing it for real for the sake of the community. You know, BnG at worms 2 is very different and still workes perfectly for them.

This is far from being an attemp of replacing the old-school BnG (although worms2 BnG would be the real old school), it is just a way of slowly pushing people into a more open minded way of worming and encourage exploring rather than sticking to the same thing every time. Spread the Worm Olympics "this is just a game and there are millions of ways of playing it" mentality.

I am sorry if it sounded as if I wanted to make this weird and never tested reduced-forts scheme as something better than old-school BnG.

----------------------------

Besides that I'd like to say a few things:
-Weird angle shots come up because you need to shoot from a good hide and into another good hide (that is why worms can walk).
-It is easy to avoid sitters by not hiding on the bottom of a hole
-If there were more girders there is a good chance of lamer hides.

Of course, it is all just a test.
Wriggler
NNN member

Post by Wriggler »

Okay, I just played a few more rounds, this time against better opponents (Kassam and Koras). It's a fun little scheme.

More constructive feedback this time :) , perhaps for league, since tourney scheme is already set.

Health needs to be higher. Say, 150. I haven't had a round last more than 8 mins, and I was shooting really bad and chatting up Koras. Most rounds are around 4 mins...seems too easy, not a 'real battle.'

The girder, I assume, is in case a worm gets stuck? And this is better option than, say, 1x or 2x blowtorch to prevent excessive darksiding? That makes sense.
I understand not including tele due to the petrol.
Why not include cluster and/or mortar? I can see no reason not to include them, given that it's nrBnG.

I like the idea of expanding worms beyond the old, tried and true schemes, but maybe we need new names. BnG is already taken. :) I know you like rBnG daz, we've played a bunch of times! ;)

And anyways, we should have a 'real' BnG tourney sometime too. Some Pro-NNNers need more practice! :P
wriggle intransitive verb: to move the body or a bodily part to and fro with short writhing motions like a worm
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

I just played a few more rounds, this time against better opponents (Kassam and Koras
are U kidding me?:P I am total BnG/nrBnG noob :!: :lol:
Wriggler
NNN member

Post by Wriggler »

I just meant better worms players, not average noobs in AG.
wriggle intransitive verb: to move the body or a bodily part to and fro with short writhing motions like a worm
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

My rounds with jakka just lasted 10-15 mins with 150 hp health. Sounds Just fine for bo3 games.
Right, kind of forgot about mortars and clusters, though at least mortars should be limited imho (rather easy to aim).

Don't worry about real BnG tournaments, of course there will be. From BnG to battle races.

There is still time to edit this tournament scheme ;), one of the reasons it was announced a week before the date.
Wriggler
NNN member

Post by Wriggler »

maybe 3-5x mortar & 5x or infinite cluster?

How about calling it FREEnG? :D
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

4 and 5 with power = 3 sounds ok.
Updated the scheme download and the Free&G name sounds nice.
Let the tests keep going.
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Few more games played and now I think this:

Mortars have to go, they only give you some "4s max power" shots that explode when colliding on the worm/land.

Petrol bombs do the same, but they could also be used with the opposite effect: prevent your opponent from standing in a spot where it'd be easy for him to adjust his aim and hit you.

just thoughts.
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Ouf, this has gone too far from BnG. With other weapons and settings it's completely new scheme. I have nothing against new stuff and I'm willing to try anything, but are u sure u wanna make a tourney out of this? What's the point of having a tourney with a scheme that no1 but few ppl ever tried?
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Ramone wrote:Ouf, this has gone too far from BnG. With other weapons and settings it's completely new scheme. I have nothing against new stuff and I'm willing to try anything, but are u sure u wanna make a tourney out of this? What's the point of having a tourney with a scheme that no1 but few ppl ever tried?
True, it has gone far from BnG, though (despite the title of the tournament) it was never meant to get close. Just another option.
The objectives of making tournaments with schemes people never tried before are mainly two:
1-Allow people to have the chance to try different things at the same time and in the same place as other people do it.
2-Encourage exploring worms rather than sticking to what we feel comfortable with.

And I could add as a personal goal for this particular tournament:
Encourage less skilled players to improve their shooting skills in a less strict scheme (we all know BnG is not precisely friendly towards players that are not used to it, it's rules and the skills needed).

Worm olympics have so far incredibly succeeded in doing that and it could be nice if I could help spreading that "worm olympic" spirit all over wormnet.