Yet another SD discussion

Replays, screenshots and anything that can help players getting better
Dario
NNN member
Posts: 1380
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:59 pm

Post by Dario »

Rafka wrote:"SD after 3 fucking sec move"
Some people just don't want to understand how SD works and keep thinking that making a 0s turn reduces the chance of SD down to 0%. Kind of funny, denial ftw.

Anyway: Gj Antares! can't wait for the finals :)
Last edited by Dario on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ramone
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Post by Ramone »

So, if I got it right, finals are Mablak vs Antares, right? That's interesting... 8)
Antares wrote:With this ocassion i salute you all ... i am returning next week, tuesday probably ( after orthodox Easter ) ... Happy Easter !
Happy orthodox Easter to you too!
(I'm going away to the countryside for 4 days too.. btw, I was not much active last 2 weeks cause I got new job...)

Anyway, gl & hf in finals!
Cheers!
Rafka
NNN member
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by Rafka »

Not reduces to 0% but the hell reduces to few % so dont tell me U know SD cause even U dont know when it apears, its pure luck aspecially when someone waste 45 sec on move, other only few sec...
khamski
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Russia

Post by khamski »

Yeah SD can be a bitch
Dario
NNN member
Posts: 1380
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:59 pm

Post by Dario »

Rafka wrote:Not reduces to 0% but the hell reduces to few %
Still wrong. The chances of SD coming in his turn when he is wasting 45 seconds and you 1 are equal to the chances of SD coming in his turn when he is using 1 second and you waste 45. Anybody can figure that out by watching some replays or doing enough offline tests, you just seem to love having something to blame it on.
Rafka wrote:so dont tell me U know SD cause even U dont know when it apears, its pure luck

Partially true, it doesn't change some facts:

-In that round SD could have come when it came or right before the turn when you torched that 16hp worm. So either way SD was going to be there by Antares turn and he would have killed your two worms in the same way, because you put your worms in a way that both could be shot. Very very bad mistake.

-In that round, someone paying enough attention to the game could have easily known that after Antares used 18 seconds of his last turn SD could already happen, and precautions like not putting your last two worms in a place where both of them could be killed had to be taken.

It was your mistake because you decided not to take the necessary precautions and hoped that everything would be fine.
So don't come taking away Antares' victory only because of your lack of ability under SD situations. He won because you made a silly mistake comparable to putting your last worm in a place that can be plopped with dyna hoping that sub-pixel alignment will save you.
Rafka
NNN member
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by Rafka »

cmon, he wouldn't kill my 2 worms, cause even if SD would be earlier I could tele and for 2 if SD would be few sec later (after his move) it would be 2 vs 2 or 1 vs 1 but I would have JP and he woudnt, so if SD would appear after Antares turn I would have big chances to win this.

P.S. I didnt say that his won was just because luck, cause Ant played good, but SD helped him in the end, thats for sure.
and about 45 sec vs 1 sec...sory but much more often SD appears after long moves (20-45), very rarelly after few sec...at least in my experience.
User avatar
Kayz
NNN member
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Post by Kayz »

Rafka wrote: and about 45 sec vs 1 sec...sory but much more often SD appears after long moves (20-45), very rarelly after few sec...at least in my experience.
That's not true. I saw replays where the 00:00 clock was there for the rest of the turn, and SD didn't come after that turn. It's just random. Either it appears directly after the turn of the one who had the clock on 00:00, or one turn later.

Everyone got the same chances. Accept it or not.

Edit: I just saw the replays: After Antares' turn the clock was already 00:00, so it didn't matter how many seconds you used, sd came after Antares' turn or yours anyway. Nice games :)
khamski
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Russia

Post by khamski »

i didn't get into it much
but as i get it...

time of SD and time of turns has no connection

Think of it as an added time in football game

1. We have 15 min
2. 15 mins come to zero and random function adds some number of seconds (minutes?)
3. Another countdown starts (but we dont see it even on replay)
4. Added time ends
5. Next turn comes... bang! SD!
Rafka
NNN member
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by Rafka »

yea I know it doednt have conection when almost times up, but it there are often situations when there is 10 sec to SD, someone wasted 6 sec for turn and another player wsted 45 sec so its almost obvious that after his turn will SD appears, thats what I mean, so its more often Kayz...in my experience I can say that is more often.
User avatar
Zemke
NNN member
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Zemke »

khamski wrote:i didn't get into it much
but as i get it...

time of SD and time of turns has no connection

Think of it as an added time in football game

1. We have 15 min
2. 15 mins come to zero and random function adds some number of seconds (minutes?)
3. Another countdown starts (but we dont see it even on replay)
4. Added time ends
5. Next turn comes... bang! SD!
well done!
Dario
NNN member
Posts: 1380
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:59 pm

Post by Dario »

Khams: I find that theory almost impossible to be true, because even if you skip (0 seconds used) if the "real" countdown has ended SD will always come, therefore there can't be a secondary countdown (otherwise you would be able to make infinite 0 seconds turns and SD would never come).
Rafka wrote: when there is 10 sec to SD, someone wasted 6 sec for turn and another player wsted 45 sec so its almost obvious that after his turn will SD appears
Wrong again.
User avatar
Kayz
NNN member
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Post by Kayz »

What about my theory: About that it's just random. Either after the turn where 00:00 comes or one turn later?

I think I never saw it that someone got the clock on 00:00, turn is over, then another turn skipped maybe with /afk and then still no sd. I think it's always after zero or one turn after the clock passed 00:00. Right?
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Dario
NNN member
Posts: 1380
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:59 pm

Post by Dario »

Kayz wrote:What about my theory: About that it's just random. Either after the turn where 00:00 comes or one turn later?

I think I never saw it that someone got the clock on 00:00, turn is over, then another turn skipped maybe with /afk and then still no sd. I think it's always after zero or one turn after the clock passed 00:00. Right?
That is what I always say, in fact I am quite convinced it's in that way and I am not interested in knowing the exact code used for that pseudo-random generator.
User avatar
Wriggler
NNN member
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 am
Location: US of the MFing A
Contact:

Post by Wriggler »

Kayz wrote:What about my theory: About that it's just random. Either after the turn where 00:00 comes or one turn later?
Dario already explained this elsewhere.
User avatar
Kayz
NNN member
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Post by Kayz »

Yes but Dario didn't create the game, although he knows very much about it. I thought it's a discussion here, so I posted my theory...
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Post Reply